Tuesday 23 February 2016

New Year's Resolution Recipe #8: Stuffed Brownies

I love Pinterest.  I've had an account for years but only really got into it the past 6 months or so?
I always joke that some people do face masks and stuff before bed time - me?  I scroll through Pinterest! :)

So what's something I keep seeing?

Stuffed brownies.


Sometimes known as "Sex in a pan" (I think it depends on how many or what kind of ingredients you put in it) or Oreo-stuffed brownies or as I saw them: "I'm going to go the gym tomorrow - just one more portion" brownies.

I apologize now that my photos aren't so great - I was in a rush between trying to make the darn things and fighting the kids off and protecting the cookies and the mixing bowl from the kids.

It's fairly straight forward:  You bake brownies and layer something in the middle.
I tried to go for "portion control" and used a cupcake/muffin tin but found they overflowed a bit much and they were baked a tad too long (22 minutes at 175*C) and a bit dry.  Which made me ridiculously sad!
I think in future for cupcake pans - and with a ready to eat center - I'd aim for 15 minutes at 175*C instead.

I went a little gutsy and decided 2 Domino cookies (Finnish version of Oreo's) with peanut butter sandwiched in between was a brilliant idea.

It is but it isn't because it was too tall and there wasn't enough brownie batter encasing it's chocolate/peanut buttery goodness.
But I ate it anyway.  It wasn't easy to cut cleanly that's for sure - but you know - it all gets chewed up anyway.

I've since tried this again with a rectangular pan and decided to say "screw you!" to neat and tidy portion controls and this was the result:
Served with home-made Cookie Monster Ice-cream (another Pinterest find!).
It's a no churning/no ice-cream machine involved kind of recipe too.  Yee haw.

It wasn't over baked and I know you can't see the cookies - but they're in there.  And I opted to mix in a couple monster-sized dallops of peanut butter into the brownies batter to save me some time! :) 
BIMU


PPS Brownies recipe is from my very first cookbook: "Company's Coming: Kids Cooking" book - yep a good ol' '90's classic!  But I'm sure your favourite brownies recipe will do just fine! :).

No comments:

Post a Comment