Sunday 23 August 2015

See You Blue

June 4, 2003 - August 23, 2015
Photo Credit: Keski-Suomalainen Paper

The past two weeks I haven't been blogging and there's a pretty good reason for it.
I'm studying, have three kids and V-Man has been in respite care this past week and out of nowhere - my precious Blue has been sliding downhill and we have no idea why.
I guess being 12 had to do with a big part of it.

Today was the final call and while I was accepting of it awhile ago - SH was in a bit more denial than I.  Of course he doesn't want to admit it.
He had peed on the balcony once, had diarrhea, refused to eat sometimes and his sides were bloated...then today we went hiking and while it was nice and cool in the forest - his legs gave out on him and he couldn't get back up.  I was luckily with two girlfriends and their dogs and he took a few minutes before we continued our walk.
So because he didn't eat yesterday - I mixed in some ground beef and rice with his food today as a big treat and he gobbled it up and as soon as it went down, it came back up.

We called the 24-hours vet and brought him in and the look on the vet's face when I described his symptoms lately said it was time to go.

Thankfully, we expected this and had brought Blue over to see V-Man at his respite care before this appointment.

Christmas 2007
This is my first time having to put an animal to sleep and I'm a frigging mess.  My eyes are almost swollen shut from crying so much.  Pretty sure a forest of trees worth of toilet paper/tissues has been used up and I'm still going strong!
My nose is just dripping water - it's not even snot anymore...
Photo by A.S.

But I'm happy to say that he had a wonderful 8 years with us (he was 4 already when he came to our home to be with us) - he's been my rock during all 3 pregnancies and post delivery healing (especially with the first delivery) and has been constantly there for each of us in his own way.

First day V-Man came home.
Recently with M-Girl by his side.
He absolutely loved babies. (A-Man)
Hiking and cuddling (and of course food) were his favourite things.


Photo by M.T.
I had read recently on PostSecret, a vet (or nurse) had submitted in a post card that said when it's time to let your pet go - don't leave their side until they're already gone.
"When you leave the room - they're looking for you."
I made a promise to stick by my pet's side until the very end - because after everything they've provided - love, a shoulder to cry on, warmth and companionship - it's the least I could do.

It was hard when I walked back in the door because A-Man immediately ran over and asked, "Where's Moo?  Moo in car?"
We don't have a car but I told him that Blue was going for a car ride and might not be coming back - depending on what the doctor said.

We decided to have him cremated since we have nowhere to bury him here.  The plan is to sprinkle Blue's ashes here in Finland and also in Canada if and when we return/visit there.

Anyway, I have nothing but awesome memories and am so incredibly happy to have had Blue as my first dog.
He was a fantastic family dog and an excellent teacher when we got our second, Loki (who is lying on the floor looking like a hot mess like me) and overall can't be replaced.

While this was all rather fast - I'd rather he goes happily and peacefully and while not in too much pain (or too hungry!).

                                                          
Have fun chasing squirrels and rabbits Bubba.
XOXO Be a good boy.
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment