Thursday 24 March 2016

New Year's Resolution Recipe #10: Slow Cooked Curry, Cauliflower Fritters & Naan!

I had been dying to make some Indian-style curry in my slow cooker and finally decided for last night I would.
I love my slow cooker for curries - it's so simple!  It wasn't my first time making a curry but it certainly had been awhile!

While I was cruising through Pinterest, I decided I wanted to do something more.  Something vegetarian to go with this and discovered "Cauliflower Fritters".  I first saw this recipe and thought they looked amazing!
Then I had a nap and didn't have enough time to let the mixture chill for 3 hours in the fridge and my balcony isn't cold enough to speed up the process.  So I found another recipe (can't find the link!) where they just boiled the cauliflower and mashed it up after draining it and mixed stuff in and pan-fried the fritters.
That worked and it was so tasty!

"I don't know what I'm doing Cauliflower Fritters"
  • 2 small cauliflower heads (or use 1 large one)
  • 3 large eggs
  • A couple handfuls of flour (or however much needed to make the mixture not so wet)
  • Your favourite spices and some fresh coriander.
    • For spices I used:  salt, pepper, curry powder, tumeric and some mixes.
  1. Clean your cauliflower and remove the stem and leaves.
  2. Break the cauliflower up into little florets and boil until tender.
  3. Drain really well and mash the cauliflower until it resembles baby food.
    1. Drain it again.
  4. Spray your cooking pan with non-stick cooking spray and while that's heating up:
    1. Mix in your eggs and spices and flour until mixture isn't super wet looking.
  5. Once pan is heated, drop by the spoonful (or blob-full) some fritter mixture and fry a couple minutes on medium-high heat until golden brown and flip them and allow to cook long enough that the other side is golden brown too.  (You might need to flatten them a bit if the blob is too thick).
  6. Serve and enjoy.

I bought 800 grams of beef chunks (I realize beef isn't common in Indian-style curry for cultural/religious reasons but I'm not a fan of pork meat and wasn't in the mood for chicken!) and cut them in half because we were feeding 4 adults and 4 kids - and I love a hearty stew/curry!
  • While the beef was frying in a bit of oil to brown it - I peeled and cut a few small potatoes (cut in quarters), a couple large carrots and a medium-sized onion went into the slow cooker.
  • I added the beef piecesTikka Masala curry paste (monster-sized blobs), a box of tomato puree and a can of coconut milk (only because there were little ones and I didn't want it too spicy).
  • I let it cook on low for 6 hours with the occasional stir here and there.  A bit of fresh coriander and some salt and pepper and it was all good to go!  I wish I had the ingredients before hand as I prefer to have it cook for 8 hours - but was waiting to hear from our guests if they would be coming or not.  (There's a baby on the way for them - so I just had to be sure!)
  • I had topped it with fresh coriander and also had some in the pot while cooking.  I'm sure I could've added more spices but was pressed for time.

For the naan bread - I turned to my favourite recipe (I love my bread machine!) and tried 2 cups of all purpose flour and 2 cups of bread flour and they turned out bigger than my hand!
Instead of brushing it with water - I brushed it with ghee (clarified butter - or you can make your own).

Serve with basmati rice and ta-da!
BIMU

PS sorry for the delay in this!  Time to catch up on some recipes!
Originally posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment