So happy new year to you!
I know I've read a lot of people (via Facebook) say that New Year Resolutions don't work.
If they're not realistic or too grand - of course they don't. I agree!
But I'm hoping and trying hard to make mine stick.
I should probably add some more common-sense resolutions (not necessarily New Year ones but general overall...) in there - such as:
- Say what I really mean. It'll lose me a few friends for sure and I've been told repeatedly throughout my life that I'm "too nice". Blame the Canadian in me.
- Isolate myself a bit more. Trying to back away from Facebook and the internet in general and spend more time in the real world. How else will my resolutions be complete otherwise?!
- Clean up my Facebook friends. I do this about 2-3 times a year. If I don't speak to a person in about 6 months (and it's not because they passed away or went into FB hiding - aka the real world) - I usually remove them. "Oh how mean of you!" - yeah well - there are worse things I can do in life than "un-friend" someone.
- I wouldn't be offended if someone un-friended me if we didn't talk. But that's just me.
- I also don't understand why people I un-friend throw a fit 3-6-12 months after the fact I un-friend them. If it takes 3,6 or 12 months for you to realize it...
- By some un-spoken law - of course the family members and the ones I see the most in person have to stay on my friends list...or else shit hits the fan otherwise - right?
I see no point in sharing mine because if we're friends on FB - then I have probably seen your year in Facebook on Facebook and you've seen mine.
Still it's a neat idea and reminds you of all the stuff that happened 12 months ago.
Well, here's my year:
- Had a baby.
- Surprised FB friends with said baby news.
- Found out there were some crap blogs IN MY NAME made about me with various racial slurs and so on.
- Been to the hospital with the kids for various infections, appointments, tube surgery, split forehead...
- Dealt with several fist fights among my boys.
- Went to parent/teacher meetings galore this past year.
- Paid bills.
- My friend got a puppy.
- Had my whole computer hacked, blogs erased (funny enough someone took up the Learning About Finland blog URL pretty fast), e-mails broken into and the cops couldn't do anything about it.
- Started a new blog. This one! :)
- Became friends with the neighbours beneath us (this took two years).
- Lost my wallet and had it returned.
- Saw Fröbelin Palikat in concert with all 3 kids.
- Fell down a bunch of times.
- Bought a fuckton of yarn. Didn't knit it all.
- Went to Helsinki a couple times.
- Dealt with: hand-foot-mouth disease x3, Norovirus x3, chicken pox x3...
- Went to Tampere's Ikea.
- Threw a double kids' birthday party.
- Got a spot to learn Finnish again starting in about a week.
- Hosted Christmas and New Year's Eve dinner.
- Less trips to the hospital with the kids.
- Not get pregnant.
- Not give birth.
- Not get my blog hacked (yay 2-step verification this round) by jealous ding-dongs (again - too nice to say something worse).
- Not buy yarn. #UseMyStash is my hashtag I've been using on Instagram whenever I complete a project. So far there's only one.
- Go to Helsinki on a Saturday or Friday even...instead of Sunday - when nothing's open.
- Read more.
- Stop wasting time on idiots of all levels.