Sunday 28 December 2014

Italian Sausages & Apple Stuffing Recipe

So I really have no idea what I'm doing half the time I'm in the kitchen.
I love cookbooks and baking books and treasure them.

Most times things turn out pretty alright in the kitchen and I very rarely burn anything. :)


What you need (serves about 6 people):
  • 12 slices of whole wheat bread - left out to dry overnight
  • 1 vegetable broth jelly blob (it's not a cube -it's a jelly blob)
  • Boiled water for jelly blob - about a medium bowl worth
  • 1 small onion chopped finely
  • 1 medium apple chopped (I used Golden Delicious and left the skin on)
  • 4 Italian Sausages (I got mine from Craig Beckley in Helsinki - fantastic product and awesome service by the way!) 
  • Pepper, parsley and other favourite spices to taste
  • Butter
  • Duck fat to grease baking dish
  • Optional:
      • Celery chopped
      • Nuts
      • Raisins
      • Dried cranberries
      • Chopped bacon (Next year I'll add this! I was super pressed for time!)
        What you need to do (sorry Blogger is acting up and won't let me re-align things properly!):
      • Boil sausages in water and once in awhile poke them with a sharp knife to release the fat.  Be careful of possible splattering.
      • Cut the bread slices into pieces
      • Put bread pieces into a large bowl and add chopped oinion and apples, vegetable broth.
      • Remove sausages from their casings by using a fork and knife to slice the skin open and scrape the meat out.  Crumble it up a bit and add to the stuffing mix.
      • Add spices and mix well.
      • Add melted butter.
      • If dry looking - use a spoon and add some of the juice/fat from the pot you cooked the sausages in.  Mix really well.  Don't be shy - add more - as long as it's not too soggy or swimming in fat - you're good.
      You can put in a greased dish (I used duck fat) and if it doesn't fit in your dish - like mine - then you can flatten a turkey breast and line it with stuffing then roll it up to cook in the oven.
      To flatten turkey breast - use a meat mallet.  I don't have one - so I used my marble rolling pin and place the meat between two sheets of parchment paper.

      In a dish - bake at 175-200*C for about 30 minutes - or until bit crisp and golden brown on top.

      Enjoy.
      BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment