Thursday 11 September 2014

Going to TRY and save moolah...

What do you always buy because you simply "cannot live without it"?
Often for me, it's yarn or a pretty piece of fabric that I'll wash as soon as I get home and then it'll collect dust or hide in the shadows of my closets.
As previously mentioned, a favourite yarn shop has closed and it was the best store for my wallet and for the quality as well.
Sure, you can buy yarn from a department store but the ones here sell rough feeling wool or it's not 100% wool -which may or may not matter to you. It also depends on your project you're making!
So I was just on Facebook and saw a friend share this page, called Monique Makes Do. It's about a lady named Monique who is trying for 1 year to not spend extra un-necessary money. There are of course some exceptions but I think overall the idea is a brilliant one and one my family could benefit from.
Things that I could cut back on??

  • Yarn - haven't been tempted because I stocked up before my friend closed her shop. I also try to buy it on sale or even second-hand. But considering I have discovered more skeins of yarn today that I don't even remember where I got them from or where...then I realized that I'm a yarnaholic.
  • Sweets - I'm on my last bag of M&M's and I don't usually buy sweets to begin with. That and some of my pants don't fit anymore. This should also include the delightful Pepsi which I'm partial to as well!!
  •  Eating Out - I've gotten better over the last month, mostly because the boys are back in day care, so if I'm hungry, I try to go to the grocery store and get a bag of nuts or a savory pastry to hold me off until I get home. It's not as easy to do with kids and quite often bringing snacks to a playground doesn't cut it when the other family nearby has food that's automatically better or more interesting than yours.
  • Second Hand Everything - clothes for me and the kids have always been second hand because kids grow so quickly and I cannot justify paying full price on stuff I can find at a fraction of the cost in a second hand store.  I'm not allowed to buy anymore kitchen gadgets or machines...so I'm sworn off that. I am trying hard to reduce my visits to once a week as well. Well, maybe I could try twice a month...
    I do buy underwear brand new of course and I typically take good care of my clothing too.
    • I do have friends who have bigger children than I do and I gladly accept their outgrown clothes!!  Thankfully because we have 2 boys, clothes get handed down and I have no problem making the unisex clothes stretch even more to the third, if at all possible!!

I just really need to guilt myself into not buying stuff is all.
Sorry this post took forever and a day for me to put online!!!
Next week the V-Man gets to go to overnight care, so I'm hoping to get a bunch of blogging (and knitting!) done.
I finished 1 skein of that purple yarn to make my cowl/scarf thing...nearly done!

BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment