Sunday 7 September 2014

Simply Knitting Pattern Review

I am not a representative of any organization or company - just do random reviews for sharing and based on my experiences.

I like knitting and crocheting a lot.  Yarn shopping is both therapeutic and addicting.
I think if it really came down to it, I prefer crocheting over knitting.  Mostly because I don't have to commit my tool to one project at a time (i.e. crochet hooks versus knitting needles) and if I drop a stitch, it's not nearly as traumatic as dropping a stitch while knitting - at least for me.
I have a massive post on basic knitting and crocheting information that I'll hopefully have ready soon...just need to charge my camera and take photos of my knitting needles and crochet hooks...some day...

Anyway, the English handicraft magazines come to Finland usually but much slower than when it's released in the UK for example so it may be hard to enter contests - if they're open to outside of the UK.
Also, they average 9€-10€ an issue and special copies with more patterns and tutorials can go upwards to 20€.
Example: my magazine states it should be 4.99£ and I paid 10,90€ (according to XE's site, it should be equal to about 6,24€...but then there's taxes and so on.)

I must admit, I've been quite disappointed in the Simply Crochet magazines because the patterns just haven't been tickling my fancy.
And Simply Knitting is hit or miss and with a hefty price tag on a single issue - I make it a rule to only buy one magazine a month as a treat and that's only if there are enough patterns worth it.
It's partially why I've never asked for a magazine subscription before because I worry it'd be a waste of money if I don't like all the patterns (or many) in an issue. 
But!  This month's magazine of Simply Knitting issue 124, had a few interesting patterns that I'd be willing to knit and wear so I purchased it.

Recently, my LYS (new term I learned - Local Yarn Shop) - Poppeli - has closed down because the lady running it is going back to school to further her education and follow her dreams.
They do plan to continue selling at exhibitions in Finland - yay!!
So I'm trying to use up my yarn stash and not buy more and more and more yarn....
(Thankfully the other yarn shop I started to frequent is pretty pricey...so I try to not go in and be tempted!!)
I'm embarrassed to say that after I hopped out of the shower, I was grabbing some undies from my dresser drawer and found a little plastic bag and it had not one but 2 skeins of yarn in it! I only remembered purchasing one skein, but the other one is really lovely and I can understand why my past self bought it!!  Now what to do with those yarns....

Anyway, after flipping through the magazine (it came with a cute bunch of blue and yellow stitch lockable markers and a container to hold them in), I decided that I need a cowl.
Page 69 has a pattern called Daydreamer and considering the pattern took up less than 1/3 of the page - and seemed easy enough, and with a chunkier yarn - it seemed like a very possible idea!
And I could finish up The Shield with hubby while knitting this easy-peasy pattern.  (One episode left and that's it!! We'll be done that series!)

I cast on last night using a long Knit Pro cable and my needle size was 6 mm.  The yarn I'm using is Rowan Purelife Renew in a lovely deep purple colour with some flecks of other colours here and there.
93% Recycled Wool and 7% Polyamide - yay it'll be an eco-friendly cowl!
I will have a fabulous cowl before winter arrives!  I got to about Row 12 of the "Slanting Pattern" section and then felt fear.

"Rep rows 1-20 until work meas 86cm."

Why would I be terrified?
  1. I might not have enough yarn - I only have 2 skeins because I originally planned to make a hat.  But perhaps 86cm is for someone needing a cowl that wraps around their throat like a sleek turtle neck and in multiple wraps.  Not me!!
  2. 86 centimeters seemed a bit long and excessive...I'll just go as long as I can with what yarn I have (2 skeins...because "2 balls" always makes me snicker...oh I'm tired - sorry...)
  3. Where the F is "Rows 13-20" in the pattern??
So after 10 minutes of counting and re-counting, I somehow determined that I should count from the beginning of where the pattern started - yep back when it was at the end and only 6 stitches wide...and I skipped he button hole making rows because I don't want my cowl to have several button holes! But this doesn't make sense!
And then I was short some stitches and over in my stitch count - it was a cluster f*ck...and perhaps the cowl should be an alternating mix up of lace and garter stitch throughout the length of the scarf.  Not like anyone will really know because it'd be wrapped around your neck while out for a walk...
And it's so hard to tell in the photo in the magazine because it's just a shot of it around a model's neck as she looks down and smiles...at her...toes? dog? Whatever.

So I brought it with me, magazine and my WIP (work in progress) to a Tupperware party, where there's almost always knitting going on afterwards...and they counted and found Rows 13-20 for me and I thought I'd share with you.
I truly thought I found an errata - which would be my first...but after a quick Google search, it's listed there isn't any in this magazine regarding this cowl...so it's just the way it's written.

Rows 1-20 are counted from the "Slanting Pattern" part of the pattern.  Once you've done the "COWL" part - you just keep moving forward and don't go back to that.
So you have a Row 1 and 2 then repeat both 4 more times = Rows 1-10
Then there's suddenly Row 11 and 12 and you're instructed to repeat the rows again 4 more times = Rows 11-20.
So if you add it all up - you get 20 rows.

I'm glad my friends (who are much more advanced knitters than I) were able to clarify things and count it out for me because I was getting upset that I'd' never finish it...and it's beautiful yarn...and thick and warm.
I'll probably block this scarf to help open the lace even more and also because it'll add some length by intentionally and carefully stretching it out.
I've never blocked anything but you know, first time for everything, right?

When it's finished, I'll post a photo!!

BIMU

PS My friend who helped me is quite the designer herself!  Go check her out on Ravelry!



No comments:

Post a Comment