Friday 12 September 2014

Learning About Finland: Banking Blues

My husband received a new bank card in the mail several months ago but got stressed out that it said, "MASTER CARD" on it and thought they issued him a credit card that we didn't ask or apply for.
So he didn't use it or activate it.
Our bank is with Danske (previously known as Sampo) and it's fine - the cards usually work (on occasion mine has just not worked for whatever technical reason) and the internet banking is available in English.
We went with them and have been with them since moving to Finland 5 years ago because his supervisor recommended and dealt with them as well.

I noticed my card had an expiry date of 08-2014 but didn't receive a card for whatever reason.
After being declined for multiple purchases (after already using the card for the same day) and knowing there were enough funds for my purchases - I went to the bank in a huff.
Turns out they mailed it in May but I never received it.  They immediately requested a new card for me to receive within a week and that was that.

I got my new bank card, one with a Master Card logo on it and the tap to pay feature on it (for purchases maximum of 25€) and it worked right away.
My letter which explained the features of the card and that they were no longer using the Visa Electron name was written in English.
*You have to use the card to activate it - in person - and use your same pin code.  Then you'll be able to use the tap to pay feature.
I personally don't like that feature because I think it would be so easy to have money spent from your account if you lost your card!
10€ here, 5€ there, 25€ here and there and it just adds up - you know?
However I don't think it's possible to get that removed...too bad.

Anyways, I convinced my husband and showed him my letter - because his was in Finnish (excellent customer service by the way...the bank knows we're Canadian and don't speak Finnish very well...especially him!) - that it was not a credit card but just their new logo they're going with...and that he should use it soon.
He nodded and didn't think twice about it.

Well, guess what happened to him?
He went to Helsinki for a work meeting and his card was fine until he took a cab home really late at night.  Card was not only declined - but the taxi driver was instructed by the machine to keep the bank card and return it to the bank.
Thankfully my husband had enough cash for the cab fare but he was deeply embarrassed.

So just in case this happens to you - know that your bank should send you your bank card about three to six months in advance - depending on your bank!
Ooh and my bank card now has service in English.  So when I'm at the bank machine now, the options are in English and when I make purchases too.
But my husband's still registers in Finnish.  Thankfully he knows the basics. :)

BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment