Saturday 12 July 2014

Co-Sleeping

This morning I was woken up at 5:30am. On a Saturday.
M-Girl is the type of baby that doesn't always cry when she wakes up. She just observes her surroundings, kick and try to get my attention without screeching the roof off.
So why did I get woken up at 5:30am???
Because she felt it was necessary to pull my bra strap back and then let go a few times.
I woke up pretty shocked and my shoulder blades stinging...then as I rolled over to face her so I could nurse her, I got a finger in my eye. Twice.
How is this all possible??
Well, we co-sleep with (some of) the kids.

My parents were firm believers that babies should sleep in their cribs from day one. So, with V-Man, we tried it. He did sleep in a crib but if he woke up for a feeding, I was too tired to put him back in the crib.
Then one day I tried to put him back and he started to slip out of my arms!! I freaked and decided he will sleep in our bed and I'll deal with the consequences later.
When he was almost 2, a friend gave us a little kid bed, since the crib was useless because of his excellent climbing and escaping skills.
He did great at nap times but insisted on being with us even part of the night.
When we moved to our current place, SH was sleeping with V-Man because A-Man was in our bed and the dogs often slept with me too.
Finally, during Christmas break last year, we decided that V-Man will sleep completely alone and we'll try to put A-Man in the same room.
The first part worked but A-Man kept waking him up.
Now that M-Girl is here, he's glued to her hip and because his bed is a bunk bed style, I can't let them sleep in it together currently.

I realize that co-sleeping isn't for everyone and it can be tricky to kick the kids out of your bed later on. For us, it's working in the sense that I get the sleep I need and M-Girl gets her milk at night, with minimum movement or effort.
However, if I continue to get poked in the eyes, or worse, I may need to invest into some kind of helmet just to survive waking up!
BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment