Tuesday 15 July 2014

Hey Nuggets...Goodbye Fries

So ever since V-Man was little, he loved fries. Those greasy salty yellow sticks of potato (NOT wedges) were his best friends. Always tasting the same and reliable in texture.
The ultimate favorite food and thanks to the likes of McDonalds, available pretty much everywhere in the world. Which is so handy when you're traveling!
But a couple weeks ago, it stopped. He refused fries and we honestly thought he was ill.
He refused his hamburger and decided to steal my nuggets and since then, has rejected fries everytime we went out.

I'm going to try to make my own nuggets, now that I've discovered panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs) and own a small deep fryer.
I tried oven baked before but he wasn't a huge fan...but considering he just ate two whole tomatoes in less than five minutes...a new food!...he'd probably eat baked chicken nuggets.
Which would make me feel healthier and happier!!

Today I caved and took him to eat nuggets and apple juice and because nuggets are cooked when ordered...we had to wait.
A whole 5 minutes wait is torture for V-Man.
He was onto melt down number two of the day and I was getting impatient.
He screeched as if he was getting his teeth pulled without anesthesia...and because autism isn't necessarily something physically obvious - people stare. And they give dirty looks at me, as if to say with their beady little eyes, "Your child is out of control. Why won't he listen to you? Clearly your parenting skills are lacking."
Two tweens (is that what a child is called these days? Between about 9-12 years old) were staring and whispering behind their hands while staring at my 4-year old spread "Autism awareness" and at first, I just focused on him and trying to keep him calm.
When that clearly wasn't working - I gave them my, "You should turn your arses around and start walking" face.  With a hint of, "Quit your whispers - it's pretty damn obvious" lifted eyebrow.
They stopped whispering and suddenly became quite interested in the television nearby.

I don't think I'm as bold as to go up to someone and tell them to go beep themselves...but anyway.

In more positive news today - V-Man ate a good sized portion of spaghetti by himself and with a fork!!
It's the little things - right? :)
BIMU

PS Totally not related - but currently watching Homeland, season 2...sooooooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment