Thursday 31 July 2014

Mung Bean Failure

I thankfully am one of those people that can cook (read a recipe and follow it), bake (same thing), crochet or knit (ditto) but apparently trying to sprout mung beans or anything else green-thumb related is a no go.
Man do I suck at this!  And it's not even HARD! It's something your kids could do by the time they're five-years old...and I totally failed my first time...

I confess I have managed to kill a bamboo plant once...it's THAT bad sometimes!

A friend of mine had sprouted some awhile ago and I got to have some with a stir-fry and they were lovely!
She swore it was super easy to make them at home and you don't need much! In fact, she sent me this video of how to grow your own (soy)bean sprouts by Maangchi and despite the two different types- the basic idea is the same.

How did I fail this simple project?
  • I forgot to rinse them twice a day.
  • I scooped far too many beans into my little container and the skins that fell off started to rot (smell funny to me) because I put way too much and there was just so much to pick through!
  • They weren't in a dark enough container.
I just don't have the memory for growing things - kids are a different category and I will try again but with a lot less beans in my bowl!

So next time I try - perhaps I'll start another batch tonight! I'll take progress photos and go from there.

I can't be the ONLY person in the world that sucks at indoor gardening - RIGHT?!
(Friend of mine confessed to killing a cactus...that made me feel a lot better actually.)

BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment