Sunday 19 April 2015

BIMU Reviews: Pannukakku Talo

Yesterday it was girl day.  I haven't had one in ages with M-Girl - so we opted to go for a small play date with some friends and pick up some clothes their daughter had outgrown and because I heard so many things about Pannukakku Talo (Pancake Building/House)  - thought we'd give it a try!
I realize she's 1 and probably doesn't care about Mommy and Me time at all - but I think it's important to try and spend a bit of time with each child - so that's what we did. :)

Friends told me that:

A) You pay first at the counter then you get a number and can go sit down.
B) There's a play area for children in a corner.
C) The portions are fairly large and filling.  Worth every cent!

I was hoping to try it out before with a knitting group but due to potential allergies - we decided to avoid the place to be safe.
*I asked the restaurant via their Facebook page and they DO have the following options for those with these allergies:
  • Milk-free
  • Lactose-free
  • Gluten-free
  • Eggs-free
The menu is available in English up front and after quickly scanning it and being quite hungry, as I had walked a lot - I picked the salmon pancake and for dessert - apple and cinnamon.

Salmon pancake served with a slice of lemon and dill sprinkled on top!
Might sound really weird - having savory toppings on a pancake but it was really quite nice!

Apple cinnamon pancake served with whipped cream and a light dusting of powdered sugar.
The salmon pancake I was more nervous about because I worried there would be only a few pieces of salmon and scattered far and wide - however!  That wasn't the case!
Lots of lovely salmon and dill scattered all over the pancake and it was nice and hot and lovely.

The apple cinnamon one came with whipped cream - I believe all the dessert/sweet pancakes do (I was seated near the kitchen door and saw the waitresses zoom in and out with orders)!

We didn't have to wait very long for our salmon pancake and opted to drink water with our meal.
I noticed the customers around me seemed quite pleased with their food and our waitress did ask if everything was alright half-way through our meal, which was nice!
I was absolutely stuffed after having the salmon pancake - and I was sharing it with M-Girl!  But we trucked on and took on the apple cinnamon one as well.

There is aluminum foil for you to wrap up any leftovers you may want to take home and they do offer take-out!

I had one friend comment on Facebook that he wasn't very pleased with the service and his comment was:

"Sorry, but I've been there several times and the service was terrible every time. There is never enough staff, tables are left uncleared, people queuing at the entrance for ages to get seated. When you get to the counter no staff to take your order as have to help in the kitchen, clear tables, refill coffee counter etc........."

Thankfully that wasn't our case - as it would've been a real kill joy on a first visit.
I got there after the lunch rush - the tables were mostly full and filling - but I suppose it's all in the timing!  (And on a Saturday at that!)

Anyhow, I highly recommend it as I had a very pleasant experience there with the food, presentation and timing!
I'm sure if M-Girl could speak she would agree as she ate about half of each pancake herself!
I also noticed several other families there with young children and a young man with his service dog was in there as well.

I look forward to going again and trying the other savory pancakes! :)
BIMU

*Funky highlighted text thanks to the joys of copying and pasting Facebook text.

6 comments:

  1. I go to Pannukakkutalo all the time with my daughters and friends. I have always been happy about the pancakes, service, timing, cleaning and especially the staff: they are always happy, polite and friendly :) Like you: I look forward to going again and enjoying more!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should go together sometime!! :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, we should! Pannukakkutalo is great just because there are only pancakes! http://www.pannukakkutalo.fi/ Just like Vohvelikahvila in Tampere only has wafers http://www.vohvelikahvila.com/?page_id=21 (there are enough places that have a little bit of this and a little bit of that... ). This is only my opinion ;)

      I have waited max 20 minutes my pancake, that is not very long time for something that is prepared just for me. I am easy to please ;)

      Delete
    3. Let me know when is good for you! :)
      We waited 10 minutes tops for our pancake and the apple cinnamon one came just as we finished our last bite of the salmon one. Perfect timing for us! :)

      Delete
  2. Hah. I was not so pleased. The food is good, but the service is slow and there's NO SALAD... Come on... It was great to meet you today though! I got lots of new thoughts... Must find time to write about them soon.

    http://aroundtheworldwithafinn.blogspot.fi/2015/02/lounasravintola-jyvaskyla-pannukakkutalo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! I never even thought of the missing salad bar! Hmm.

      Yes it was fantastic and I too will try to blog tomorrow about it!

      Delete