Saturday 11 April 2015

Going (Semi) Crunchy: Reusable Cloth Wipes

I'm going (semi) crunchy in our household.
We tried being mega crunchy about a year ago but it didn't stick.
I say "semi" because SH still uses disposable wipes and when we travel or go out (and actually remember to bring wipes or diapers with us).

However, I'm back at it again.

We have 3 children and 2 of them are still in diapers.
While M-Girl refuses to lie down for a diaper change, now that she has the power to stand/walk/run/bounce - we've stopped using cloth diapers on her.
V-Man also stands on the toilet seat for diaper changes and we go through a lot of wipes.
So much that I was getting frustrated by the cost, the waste and the complaints radiating from SH's mouth about how we ran out of wipes, his fingers still smell like poo (despite washing his hands with liquid hand soap, body wash and sometimes shampoo!) and how it was taking about 8 wipes to clean up V-Man's tush.

Showering constantly seems like a waste of water and seeing as we're still waiting for a plumber to come and install our bathroom sink (thanks to that Christmas Day incident - um over 3 months ago) - I can't even use that handy little spray hose attached to the sink for M-Girl.

I am a hoarder when it comes to yarn (just celebrated 3 months of not buying yarn for myself!) and while I love the idea of hand knit or crocheted wash cloths - having my yarn stash go to my son's buttocks just seemed - like a waste.
However, I also had a lot of fleece!

So I roughly cut up squares of fleece and soaked them in water and lightly scented baby oil in a container with a lid.
SH doesn't use them as much as he should but I've noticed he does use them occasionally to wipe the kids!

Benefits of our crunchy baby wipes?
  • Puts a dent in my fabric stash.
  • Soft 
  • Durable
  • Re-usable
  • Washable
    • No need to dry - just toss 'em back into your container when they're washed!
  • Colourful!
  • Cute!
  • Can teach kids colours, how to recycle, shapes and whatever you like - depending on the pattern/colour of your fleece.
  • Doesn't fray - so no need to stitch/embroider/crochet the edges - unless you want prettier poo wipes for your baby...
  • You can use them yourself
  • Scentless if you want
  • Super pretty smelling if you want
Once they've been used up and beyond - you can toss them away and cut up some new ones!
We've had ours for a long time - about a year - and still they're like new.

So for about 7€ - I can get 4 packages (64 wipes a pack) totaling 256 wipes and that brings me to 0.02 cents per wipe.

Or just invest maybe 2-5€ worth of fleece (I consider it nearly free as it was already in my stash to begin with and picked it out of the bulk pieces bin and not off a roll) and have these wipes for years.
I rinse the bin occasionally (once a year count?) and regularly add more scented baby oil and water when needed.

To wash them, we have a nasty bucket in the bathroom - for anything wet, super soiled (i.e. puked/pooped/peed on) and I toss them in there.  Or if the washing machine is open (we only have the space for a top loader style) - I pretend to be Michael Jordan and toss that rag in the machine.
Just kidding...I'm far too short and it's not that far to throw the wipe into the machine! :)

I also soak them in vinegar if I don't plan on doing a load immediately and typically wash them at super high temperature (my machine goes up to 90).
However this rarely happens because we always have laundry to wash!  (The soaking in vinegar and the washing at 90.)

Also, I know a friend questioned me using fleece because of the fabric being absorbent but not leaking (which is why it's awesome for cloth diapers, breast pads and cloth pads even) - but they do get wet in a box of water! :)

Another friend suggested adding a couple drops of tea tree oil into the container to help soothe baby's soft skin and making it smell nice.

Your (semi) crunchy blogger,
BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment