Saturday 19 July 2014

Bubbles!!

Today we went to a birthday party of a little guy who is turning 2. I had it all planned out that I'd crochet him a tool kit because they're renovating their house...so it'd be perfect!
I got as far as the hammer.
The pattern is easy and from the book, "Amigurumi Too" by Ana Paula Rimoli, whom I absolutely love! Her patterns are easy to follow and are super dee duper cute.
Well, I finished all of the pieces but couldn't find my sewing needles to attach the bits to the hammer.
Slight freak out this afternoon but we went to a yarn store and I got the last package of darning needles!
SH didn't think I would be able to finish in time but I took that as a challenge and while carrying a baby, and while walking (!) I sewed those bits to the hammer and it was ready before we got to the party.
SH had actually suggested that I give the gift another day.

No. That's not acceptable for me...we're going to a birthday party and I'm not going empty handed!!
Sure the kid's only two and probably wouldn't remember if I brought a gift or not - but I would, and I would feel rotten!!

Anyway, I did it and yes I am proud of myself. No, I didn't cause any car accidents doing this and the gift was ready on time which made me super happy.

So -bubbles. That was the theme of the party and the weather was fantastic for blowing and creating bubbles outside!
Loads of sunshine and warmth.
Some really creative ideas instead of bottles of bubbles with wands built in.
  • A bubble factory: in a yogurt tub, put two holes in the lid, opposite of each other. Bubble mixture inside and insert a straw into one hole and blow until bubbles come out of the other hole.
  • Bubble snake: take a small plastic bottle and cut off part of the bottom. Cover that with an old dish rag and secure with an elastic. Dip towel end into soap mix really well then blow!
  • Two plastic straws that bent a bit with thread looped through them created a bubble frame.
  • Coat hangers made fantastic big bubbles too!
  • A kiddie pool filled with bubble mixture, a seat in the middle and a hula hoop allowed guests to sit in the center while creating a tall bubble encasing the guest was also super fun!!
It was a really great party and everyone had loads of fun!
Toss in a BBQ and some light finger foods and everyone had a blast and a full tummy.

The only issue you have to be careful about is kids rubbing their eyes. A-Man did this several times and it burned quite a bit and he didn't quite get the idea of NOT rubbing his eyes to prevent the burning sensation from continuing.

Ah well - he'll learn some day!!
BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment