Monday 14 July 2014

Wonton Chips/Mini Egg-Rolls

Yesterday I had bought some ground pork and thawed some wonton skins and I wasn't sure how many I had (less than a full package) and since I recently bought a small deep fryer, thought I'd try some wonton chips.

If you haven't made wonton chips before - I swear it's easy.
I learned while working at a Chinese take-out restaurant a kajillion years ago how to whip these up and really do love these crispy, greasy treats....
And no, this is not "real Chinese food".

What you need:
  • 1 package of wonton skins thawed (purchase from your local Asian grocery store)- usually has 50 sheets
  • 1 egg mixed with a bit of water
  • 400 grams of ground pork (or turkey, chicken, beef)
  • Spices of your choice
    • I used:
      • Chinese 5 spice
      • Pepper mix
      • Black pepper
I would've used more spices but was worried they were going to explode and I'd waste spice...that did NOT happen - but next time I know to add more and maybe some fresh chopped green onion and/or ginger! (Since the deep-frying kills a lot of the spice.)

Lying a square flat, put a bit of meat near one corner and rub some egg mixture (it's the glue) around the nearest corner.  Take that corner and fold it diagonally downard and press down until the meat is sealed in and if you need to, add a bit more "glue" to seal the edge shut.  You don't want it soggy.

Continue to do this if you want wonton chips - deep-fry them at about 190*C (375*C) until golden brown and perhaps flip them so they're evenly cooked on both sides.

If you want egg rolls - rub egg glue along on edge (wrapper is a square usually - so even sides!  If using rectangle shaped ones - rub glue along longest side) and make a small log of meat mixture along opposite edge.
Roll closed, ensuring the glue side seals and encases the meat.
Rub a bit of egg glue inside both ends and press flat.
Deep-fry until golden brown.

Serve warm with: plum sauce, sweet & sour sauce - any sauce you prefer.
I'll write up a post later with a recipe for sweet and sour sauce...

I soak up extra grease by laying cooked food onto a paper-towel covered plate.

You can fold wontons into a variety of shapes - so it really depends on your preference.

Wonton chip on top
Mini eggroll on bottom

Oh, remember that scale I was talking about in yesterday's post?  I picked it up today and my initial guess of my current weight was about 67 kg (147lbs) but I surprised myself when I saw 64.2 kg (141 lbs).
I'm only weighing myself once a week and definitely not going to be making egg rolls or wonton chips very often!!
Before eating that greasy dinner...and in the evening - I know.  I'm a bad ass weighing myself before first thing in the morning!


Have a good night!
BIMU


No comments:

Post a Comment