Monday 21 July 2014

Common Worries For a Parent With an Autistic Child

I am not a huge fan of Jenny McCarthy but I did read this online and felt a sense of worry.
Bullies are mean and often bully for their own entertainment - not worrying that their words or sticks and stones can do more than hurt feeling.

I grew up being bullied for being smart and for my cultural background and being a minority in my neighbourhood - it was tough!
But I knew I was being bullied and I could do something about it - report it to a teacher or my parents if it was bad enough, ignore or come up with a clever comeback if I was lucky.

Now, Evan - JM's son can speak it seems and I can only hope I'm as lucky that it'll happen some day.
If not - then what??

Here's some common worries I have:
  • Bullying of any kind.  As it stands now, I know people stare at him when he has his anxiety attacks or melt-downs.  He's loud and can express his anger by pushing and pinching us or trying to hurt himself - it really can be stare-at-them-worthy!
  • Getting seriously hurt - and not being able to properly call or ask for help.  
  • Hurting someone else - whether it's family, friends, a stranger or a therapist/worker...he's just getting stronger by the day!
  • Puberty - enough said.
  • Not being able to tell people he has autism - I've contemplated getting some sort of bracelet engraved that he has autism but figured he probably wouldn't keep it on.  Or at least some sort of engraved zipper tag to attach to the front of his jackets - then people can understand why he doesn't speak and behaves the way he does.
    • Partially why we could never live and work in the USA - I read so many stories about disabled children and teenagers that end up getting killed because their diagnosis wasn't recognized or acknowledged prior to a trigger being pulled.
  • Not getting a job - I don't care what his job would be because a job is a job and for a non-verbal disabled adult - you cannot be particular.  Plus if it's a job that's possible and do-able for him, then it's obviously a job that needs to get done.
  • Not getting into a relationship - I worry he'll be alone when he's older.  Or that someone will take advantage of my poor boy and only marry for disability benefits or something crazy like that.
  • Not having friends - I'm one of those parents that looked forward to having little playdates, sleepovers and having the BFF over all the time. Call me weird I guess!! V-Man's BFF is from Brazil and is a 30-something year old man. He was our babysitter when we went to the hospital to have A-Man and keep in touch regularly still.
  • Being alone - I worry about this all the time.  That something could happen to SH and/or I and he's left alone.  Nobody to care for him or make him giggle, nobody to take him to new places or watch Shrek with him non-stop.
    • With that said, I also worry that my younger children will grow up faster and become "the older siblings" because V-Man is at a much younger developmental age.  I can only hope that they'll be kind enough to take care of him when we're old and gone and truly help care for him.
I started Game of Thrones season 3 - so I apologize some of this may be repeated or seem scatterbrained!
And one of the kids just woke up - gotta jet!
BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment