Wednesday 27 August 2014

A long-ish post...and my new wogging/jalking partner is V-Man!!

Last night was an awful night.  The spouse was off to Helsinki for his monthly meetings he must attend and I was kept busy with walking the dogs extra times, picking up A-Man from day-care (he had been fighting but thankfully cut me A LOT of slack!), cooking and cleaning for three kiddos and ensuring that nobody died on my watch.
The boys have been feisty lately...

Finally by 9pm, all three were asleep and the dogs were taken out and I tucked in with a plate of steamed shrimp dumplings and a good book.

Today SH stayed at home because he was tired from travelling quite late and I decided to carpe diem the most of it.
I treated myself to a second-hand shopping excursion alone.  Mostly because M-Girl was still asleep and seeing as her night was quite rough too (hello #2 tooth) - it was just easier.

I found coats, clothes for the kids, an adorable lady-bug dress for her and some other bits and bobs...then I took it a step further and went to H&M because I couldn't find pants in A-Man's size at the second hand shop.

I then went even a crazier step further, after hubby's been going on and on and on (and on) about the new Xbox One console and decided to go to City Market to find it.
It was going to be a huge birthday gift for him and yes, it involved a dip into the savings account - but it's something he clearly wanted and it's rare that he asks for anything really.
I even took V-Man with me.

A year ago - I wouldn't take V-Man anywhere.  It was embarrassing having to drag a child into a shop and drag him out and equally exhausting pushing him in a stroller as his feet smacked the ground repeatedly!
But so much has changed in a year and I'm proud of him.  Truly.
I pop the harness on him and he picks a toy to carry with him, today - a wooden block! and off we go.
We really do GO!  He decided today we should run everywhere we want to go.
To the bus stop?  Run.
To the store from the bus stop?  Run.
In the store - we can walk a bit...but as soon as we're outside - we run.
I figured I would be so out of breath and hurting everywhere (did I mention I bashed my knee into the vacuum - one of those ShopVac types - twice today and it's bruising) but I actually felt really good!
I've been trying to eat better - or at least contain my portions to "I'm feeling full - top it off with water, fresh juice or cow-free milk - that hits the spot - now stop eating!" and credit that to why I was able to keep up with a speedy 4-year old.

Then I had the craziest idea - because of course we had to run the whole course from one shop to the bus stop a few blocks away (only stopping if the block was dropped or there was a red light) - why don't we run everyday?
 
Benefits of running with V-Man:
  • I shed a few pounds!
    • He stays fit too!  (Not that he needs to lose weight!  Oh you know what I mean...)
  • He's so tired he'll eat his whole plate of food before bed time.
    • He gets tired for bed time and goes to sleep on time (and sleeps the whole night).
  • We can bond and it's only us (might add a dog after a few jogging sessions).
    • This separates him from A-Man and reduces the screaming/slapping/beating up sessions.
    • This gives SH time to bond with A-Man and M-Girl.
  • He's happy when he gets to run - even if we're holding hands (or his wrist) and he's holding his block and the handle to his harness...
    • I'm happy that he's happy.
  • He sticks with me when we run.  YES I hold onto that handle either have it on my wrist or in my hand tightly so he won't escape.  But every time I slowed down today, he stopped and tried to run away after a couple seconds.  Which is a long time in autism-land! :)
  • It could be a sport that he really enjoys and can be something that will help teach him safety and how to focus.  Also some social skills could be introduced and sportsmanship if he competed when he's much older.
Cons of running with V-Man:
  • I don't know if he'll run on a path in the woods - we'll find out tomorrow.
  • He could run away from me and it can be a b*tch to try and catch him...
    • Traffic - if he doesn't like the woods - we may have to try the side-walks...
  • Winter time - when the ice hits the ground - I won't run and put us in danger.
  • When he gets older - he could easily pull me down and I could crush us both... he's come close to pulling me down a couple times already
  • I cannot guarantee I do it everyday as I do have a knitting group once a week.  So I'll try and compensate on weekends with a morning and evening jog.
    • SH won't run.

      Wish me luck.
      BIMU

      PS:  Wogging and Jalking is really a mash-up of "walking" and "jogging" because that's probably what's going to happen...

      PPS:  Hubby realized after me looking in two City Market shops that it turns out I can't find those consoles because they're not available in Finland yet. Next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment