Thursday 28 August 2014

My Jogging Journal: Day 1 - Complete

I was running a bit behind today with picking up A-Man but as soon as I got home, I asked V-Man if he wanted to go jogging.
He probably didn't hear my sentence but the words, "Do you want to go..." and off he went.  He grabbed his sneakers and shoved them into my hand and waited for me to put them on his feet.
I swapped my clothes out for dark pants and a loose grey t-shirt and off we went.

V-Man ensured he had his harness and a block in his hand and we started walking and having occasional running spurts.  He didn't really try to run away from me and we managed to figure out a pace that was our own.

I have never jogged before I don't think little spurts of running with the dogs to get home faster (baby's starving or I need the bathroom or it's about to pour) count...but anyway.
We left at 4:40pm and didn't come back inside until 5:05pm.  It was more walking fast going into the woods and I think that's mostly because V-Man had no idea what we were doing.  Probably he was super confused since we didn't get on a bus (one of his new favourite things).
He would test my limit by going from a quick-paced walk to a full on run and I caught up with him and because I didn't scold him or shout for him to stop - he really enjoyed himself.
I made sure I held his hand or wrist the whole time (as he now seeks comfort in holding his own harness handle and I respect that as long as he stays near me or I can hold his hand or wrist) - and we had a pretty good time.
I'll do the same thing tomorrow and go the same route for a few days and then I plan to extend our route little by little - return the same way of course (mostly so we don't get lost in the woods)  - so he gets comfortable and try to get him to understand that we're running for fun and we try to make this a routine.

On the way home, when I told him we were going home, he dashed.  He knows what going home meant and it's his favourite part. 
We used to get so angry at him for running away - mostly because he wanted to go home as soon as we entered the woods...but today, I was happy with our jog/walk and I really didn't expect both of us to go for as long as we did!!
Of course, we both have to figure out our paces together and I'm pretty much letting him call the shots.  If he doesn't want to run for awhile, that's fine.  If he wants to stand and look at the clouds float by for a minute or two - that's alright too...as long as we get back home...
If he wants to run out of the woods like a zoo is chasing him home - then that's alright with me!!
My main concerns were that we get exercise, hang out together, he's safe (today he tried to run across a highway while we waited for a bus and of course it was rush hour!) and we have fun.

I don't know why I thought he was super tired after - maybe because I was panting and red...a bit drippy too...but he walked inside the flat, kicked off his sneakers and began to jump on the sofa.
It's like we didn't just go jalking/wogging for nearly half an hour!!!

I'm currently hunting around for some second-hand (gently-used) clothing so I don't have to spend an arm and a leg on work-out clothes to sweat in...but despite the burn I felt after - it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I did learn that I'm in slightly better shape than I thought...but I still need to get some work done!!

So here's to another day!!
BIMU

No comments:

Post a Comment