Friday 29 August 2014

My Jogging Journal: Day 2 - Complete (and then some)

Today was a doozy of a day!!! I did a lot of running around while carrying M-Girl on my back in a hiking-style carrier (Deuter Kids Comfort III) and am certainly feeling it.

After getting A-Man from daycare and contemplating a Fitbit (wrist style pedometer and sleep tracker thing), I swapped kids and clothes for my 2nd jogging session with V-Man.

Poor kid has new sweat pants and they're always slowing us down before we leave the driveway!!! (Complete drop to his ankles....)

I went the same route as last night and he wouldn't have it. I don't know if it was because there was a lady with three barking dogs nearby or what. But today, even with a block in his hand, he didn't want to run forward.
I was cheering him on and he'd stop suddenly and began his "boulder pose"....where he doesn't kick up a fuss about not wanting to go somewhere.
He just simply doesn't move and I end up almost falling flat on my face every time he stops and crouches down to play with rocks.

We were only 10 minutes into our session and I was motivated to keep going but I am able to see a lost battle before it begins with V-Man.
So we turned around and then he made a wild dash...

I managed to get him to not go home but onto a wide sidewalk and we continued our jog/walk.
Yes, we jogged past cars with his wrist in my hand and off we went.
I managed to add an extra ten minutes or so onto the jog and felt good and he was enjoying himself and we were back to the jog a bit and walk a bit pattern.

Pulling into our driveway, I realized that my phone had fallen out of my coat pocket. We turned back to see if it was at the end of the driveway and it wasn't.
V-Man started to get fussy, so we ran into the flat and I grabbed SH's phone, my keys, a poop bag and Loki.

We bolted back the way I came and I didn't see my phone.
I was panicking because there were dark clouds rolling in and I just got my phone screen repaired!!!!
So I called myself and someone answered. She thankfully spoke English and said she'd wait for me near the woods.
I shouted that we'd be there in seven minutes and Loki took my energetic call as a sign he should race hard (he IS a Husky mix)...as if there was an all access to a room full of bacon, lamb bones and squeaky toys.
We got there in less than four minutes.

The lady was there as promised and said it was a good thing my phone has a bright yellow cover, because it might not have been seen otherwise.

This is one of the things I truly love about Finland.
Someone loses something and it will be left where it was found, or hung in a nearby bush or tree (so it doesn't get trampled on or peed/pooped on by dogs.
Or it's dropped off to the police (hubby's passport made a trip there once after falling out of his pocket)...or to the nearest open building.
She was planning on dropping it off to the nearest building that has a café in it so I could pick it up there, had I not called her (or if she couldn't reach my husband's phone number).

Recently, Helsinki was listed as one of the most honest cities in a "wallet test".
And this seems to be true of Jyväskylä as well, based on my experiences and many of my friends who have lost their keys, gloves and so on.

Can't believe it?
Well, I just lost my phone and last winter I forgot my mittens on a bus (super nice warm ones) and someone brought them up to the driver - who took them in to the bus headquarters.
Shortly after losing my mittens, a friend forgot her whole backpack which contained her wallet, passport, visa and other things in it on the bus.  It was returned to the driver.  She got everything back.

It's a wonderful feeling knowing that I live in a country that values the truth and honesty.
Of course it's not 100% perfect and there is the occasional shoplifting and bike stealing - but all things considering - Finland's doing a pretty good job.
BIMU

PS:  I think I will get the Fitbit (but second-hand)...I got a pedometer from a friend of mine and cannot seem to find the batteries for it - the proper thickness I mean.  I'll keep trying but I do predict a Fitbit in my near future.  I'll write a review of it later on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment